(Photo: Donald Traill/Invision/AP)
1. Rapper Nas was Surprised to Discover His Third Great-Grandmother on Finding Your Roots .
Mr. Jones saw a bill of sale for his kin to a Southern slaveholder on the show with Dr. Henry Louis Gates. By David Hinckley.
[ NY Daily News ]
2. The Man Who Made the Beastie Boys’ Masterpiece Possible, Paul’s Boutique 25 Years Later.
Excerpt from Dan LeRoy and Peter Relic’s book, For Whom the Cowbell Tolls: 25 Years of Paul’s Boutique : “The failure of Paul’s Boutique has become an integral part of its myth. It was a Great Misunderstood Masterpiece, an album far too ahead of its time, yet an album whose sample-laden construction insured it could never have existed in any other time. And, because of a set of players and industry circumstances that could not have been duplicated, it could certainly never have been made for any label other than Capitol.”
[ Esquire ]
3. Gilles Peterson: Words and Music with George Clinton.
Interview with and retrospect of funk legend.
[ BBC Radio ]
4. DMC Blames Hot 97 & Chuck D Rift On Information Gap; Says Pete Rock Saved Run DMC.
Speaks on friendly rivalry with KRS-One. By Jesse Fairfax.
[ HipHopDX ]
5. No, Coolio Did Not Sign a Deal With Pornhub.
“If I want to see porn, I’ll put a mirror next to my bed,” says rapper, disputing report that he’ll release music through site. By Jason Newman.
[ Rolling Stone ]
6. The Science: What Is The GOAT Rap Beer?
From Old E to Ballatine which cerveza reigns supreme according to hip-hop lyrics? By Robbie Ettelson.
[ Unkut ]
7. Non-Phixion – The Future Is Here (Interview).
“Lightning in a bottle served one intoxicating round of consciousness, subversive information, scratch choruses, and the most dust references in a single rap album, ever.” Ill Bill, Goretex, Sabac Red and DJ Eclipse reflect back on their lone studio album, The Future Is Now . By Jake Paine.
[ Crazy Hood ]
8. Return of the Queen: Ms. Lauryn Hill Live at Brooklyn Bowl.
Concert review by Rob Kenner.
[ Mass Appeal ]