(General Jeff Photo: Angela Blakely / Sneaker Art: Filfury, Vinti Andrews, James Visaya, Max Berliti, Federico Uribe)
1. General Jeff Helped DJ Quik Hide Out After Biggie’s Murder.
West Coast pioneer of Rodney O & Joe Cooley fame details the hectic days after the shooting. By Tim Sanchez.
[ LA Weekly ]
2. Sole Sculptures: 10 of the Raddest Works of Art Made From Sneakers.
Kicks get reworked into sculptures. By Alex Gomes.
[ Green-Label ]
3. Tupac Show Holler If Ya Hear Me Meets Swift Demise on Broadway.
Play will have its final performance July 20, just a month after opening. By David Rooney.
[ Hollywood Reporter ]
4. Reasoning with Buju Banton: “My Life is an Open Book”
Celebrating The Gargamel’s EarthStrong with a 1995 interview that originally appeared in ego trip Magazine. By Boomshots.
[ Boom Shots ]
5. Noriega Is Suing Activision Over Call Of Duty …Yes, The Real Noriega.
Ex-Panamanian dictator goes after video game company for portraying him as a “kidnapper, murderer and enemy of the state.” By Miss Info.
[ Miss Info ]
6. Photographing Public Art Could Get You Labeled A Potential Terrorist By the U.S. Government.
James Prigoff, the 86 year old author of Spraycan Art , “finds himself in a U.S. government counterterrorism database and he — along with four other people — is suing the Department of Justice for violating his rights.” By Amy K. Nelson.
[ ANIMAL ]
7. Using M.C.s and M.D.s to Promote Healthy Eating for Youths.
Easy A.D. of the Cold Crush Brothers is “part of a growing public health campaign that has enlisted hip-hop artists such as Doug E. Fresh, Chuck D and DMC of Run-DMC to work alongside doctors and nutritionists in fighting obesity and related illnesses in poor communities.” By Winnie Hu.
[ New York Times ]