1. Mixtape Memories with DJ Doo Wop.
The Bouncemaster on early beef with Kid Capri, making 95 Live , Prodigy’s Jay Z dis, “Ten Tape Commandments,” and DJing on tour for Guru. By Daniel Isenberg (@StanIpcus).
[ Nah Right ]
2. Mr. Muthafuckin’ eXquire’s Music Biz Misadventures.
Brooklyn rapper attracted major label attention — but at what cost? By Leon Neyfakh.
[ Rolling Stone ]
3. “It’ll Be Out This Year”: A History of D’Angelo Album Promises.
Follow-up to Voodoo (2000) is coming soon… or so they say. By Brennan Carley.
[ Vulture ]
4. Horace Silver, 85, Master of Earthy Jazz, Is Dead.
May he rest in peace. By Peter Keepnews.
[ New York Times ]
5. The Rise and Fall of Vincent Winfield.
Examining the case against Ronald “Ra Diggs” Herron whose rap music lyrics are being used against him in a court of law. By Brendan O’Connor.
[ The Awl ]