1. Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Larry Parker becomes KRS-One.
Right up to your face and dis you — even in the train yard. By Ed Piskor.
[ Boing Boing ]
2. Apple Confirms Its $3 Billion Deal for Beats Electronics.
Reportedly Apple's largest acquisition ever. By Brian X. Chen.
[ New York Times ]
3. An Open Letter To D’Angelo.
The enigmatic singer's first A&R clears the air. By Gary Harris.
[ Inside Playa ]
4. Heavy Rotation with The Black Sheep Dres.
Find out what songs by Marvin Gaye, Donny Hathaway, and Robert Glasper, Dres has been listening to recently. By Daniel Isenberg (@StanIpcus).
[ Nah Right ]
5. Dave Chappelle Announces Radio City Music Hall Shows With the Roots, Janelle Monáe, Erykah Badu.
Plus Busta Rhymes, DJ Premier, and a full orchestra. By Evan Minsker.
[ Pitchfork ]
6. South African Rappers: The New Kwaito Kings.
"Kwaito as a genre, a style, and way of life has provided the blueprint for these new artists to learn, transforming them from wannabes to new kings.” By Kwaku Gyanteh.
[ Pigeons + Planes ]
7. Maya Angelou’s Life in Music.
"As we reflect on Angelou’s life and her words, it’s worth taking a few minutes at least to get acquainted with the music she left us with as well.” Rest in peace. By Dee Lockett.
[ Slate ]