(Artwork: James Campbell Taylor)
1. NYC Neighborhoods as Chain Brands.
Big business controls America. By Andy Cush.
[ ANIMAL ]
2. Mark Kamins on Danceteria and Early ’80s New York.
A year after Mark Kamins’ passing, author Tim Lawrence digs into his interview archives to pay tribute to the producer and Danceteria resident.
[ Red Bull Music Academy ]
3. Classic Album Sundays: A Tribe Called Quest – Midnight Marauders .
Our own Chairman Mao on Midnight Marauders ‘s place in the ATCQ catalog.
[ Classic Album Sundays ]
4. DJ Stitches – The Unkut Interview.
DJ Stitches aka Charlie Rock tells his side of the story as he airs his alleged differences with De La Soul and talks about his group Class A Felony. By Robbie Ettelson.
[ Unkut ]
5. How South Central Birthed the Next Great Jazz Movement.
“The perception of jazz is of an 80-year-old guy playing clarinet.” How The West Coast Get Down and other musicians are leading a revitalization of the deeply rooted musical art form. By Mark McDermott.
[ LA Weekly ]