1. An Open Letter to Das Racist From Sacha Jenkins.
ego trip and Mass Appeal’s SHR salutes the DR3 in the wake of this past week’s break-up announcement.
[ Mass Appeal ]
2. WIDEawake Death Row Records Reportedly Being Sold In Wake Of Parent Company’s Bankruptcy.
Stranded on Chapter 11? By Steven J. Horowitz.
[ HipHopDX ]
3. R.I.P. Austin Peralta.
Remembering the life and work of Austin Peralta – the 22-year-old keyboardist, jazz musician and Brainfeeder associate who sadly passed away just before Thanksgiving. By Matthew Duersten.
[ Los Angeles Magazine ]
4. Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, The Infamous 20/20 Segment on Rap Music.
Ed Piskor’s latest graphic novel panels focus on 20/20 ‘s 1981 segment on hip-hop – the first national TV piece on the burgeoning movement from out the Bronx.
[ Boing Boing ]
5. Louis C.K., America’s (New) Dad.
Forget Cosby. “If you want a picture of America’s Dad in 2012, look at the bald, bearded, befuddled figure of Louis CK: comedian, writer, actor, aspiring misanthrope, and endlessly earnest single dad.” By Ken Gordon.
[ The Atlantic ]
6. VINYL SCOUT: Joe’s Record Paradise.
Records, records, records in Silver Springs, MD. By Harold Stallworth.
[ Mass Appeal ]
7. The Spatter Pattern: Does All The Good Television Have To Be So Bloody?
“I will watch Walter White kill and perhaps even be killed, and I’m certainly grateful to have him. But I long for more brilliant television with the same vibrancy and creativity and talent that gives me those personal stories without the part where I have to watch people shot, stabbed, raped, eaten, beaten, and dissolved in acid.” By Linda Holmes.
[ NPR ]