(Photo: JVC RC-550, aka “El Diablo,” via radiohier.com)
1. How Boomboxes Got So Badass.
Miles Lightwood on the evolution of the block rockin' technology. By Hunter Oatman-Stanford.
[ Colectors Weekly ]
2. Mad Rappers: Wale, Complex and the History of Violence in Hip-Hop Journalism.
A closer look at critical beatdowns when rappers start ego trippin'. By Rob Kenner.
[ Complex ]
3. Read the "Stomach-Churning" Sexual Assault Accusations Against R. Kelly in Full.
"We're not talking about rock star misbehavior, which men or women can do. We're talking about predatory behavior. [The victims'] lives were ruined. Read the lawsuits!" says journalist Jim DeRogatis, who has covered the case against the R&B star since the beginning. By Jessica Hopper.
[ Village Voice ]
4. R. Kelly Responds To Village Voice Story About Past Sexual Assault Accusations.
The R speaks with Big Tigger.
[ Huffington Post ]
5. Mixtape Memories with DJ Whoo Kid (Part 1 & 2).
"The day I really knew I wanted to be a DJ is when Biggie was on Hot 97 talking about, ‘I want to kill DJ Clue for leaking ‘One More Chance.’" 50 Cent collaborator and Shade 45 radio host recalls the days of working with Stretch Armstrong, getting kidnapped by Big Pun, and being hunted down by Puff and Suge. By Daniel Isenberg. (Read about the G-Unit beefs, dodging a scrap with Kay Slay and getting a gun pulled on him by T.I in Part 2 .)
[ Nah Right ]
6. Diggin' in the Files Part 3: The 2 Live Crew Fights the Power Over Nasty As They Wanna Be .
Newspaper clippings, magazine articles, and press releases circa the 1990 obscenity trial straight from the Bill Adler Archives.
[ Crazy Hood ]