(Photo: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty)
1. Sugarhill Gang Rapper Big Bank Hank Dead at 58.
"So sad to hear about our brother's passing," his bandmates Wonder Mike and Master Gee said in a statement to Rolling Stone . "The three of us created musical history together with the release of 'Rapper's Delight.' We will always remember traveling the world together and rocking the house. Rest in peace, Big Bank.” By Christopher R. Weingarten.
[ Rolling Stone ]
2. Rise and Fall of a Rap Folk Hero: Secrets of Ol’ Dirty Bastard’s Tragic, Wild Life.
New book by author Mickey Hess and rapper Buddha Monk "tells the frustrating, complex truth of ODB once and for all— his family, his addictions, the shootings, the arrests and how the antipsychotic drugs prescribed to him in prison dulled his genius when he emerged." By Erin Keane.
[ Salon ]
3. Lord Finesse – The Unkut Interview, Part One.
The Funky Man speaks in this sneak preview from the upcoming Unkut book coming in early ’15. By Robbie Ettelson.
[ Unkut ]
4. Non Phixion Talk Reunion and Plans for 20th Anniversary.
DJ Eclipse says, "Timing is everything and all four of us agree that it’s time for the return of Non Phixion. It feels great to let the cat out of the bag.” By Howie Abrams.
[ Mass Appeal ]
5. Why Gil Scott-Heron Wrote “The Revolution Will Not Be Televised.”
Excerpt from Gil Scott-Heron: Pieces of a Man by Marcus Baram.
[ Cue Point ]
6. Hip Hop Family Tree: LL Cool J Makes a Demo.
And Rick Rubin and Russell Simmons create Def Jam. by Ed Piskor,
[ Boing Boing ]
7. BeatTips Interviews Minnesota.
Producer speaks on favorite machines and frequencies. By Amir Said.
[ BeatTips ]
8. Beat Construction: DJ Quik.
“It was only right that we took the occasion to talk to [Quik] about vintage drum machines and Saturn and Prince and denim and vomit.” By Andrew Noz.
[ The Fader ]
9. Blood On Da Rug and Dog Shit In Da Pool: True Stories of Brotha Lynch Hung In the Burbs.
Living next door to one of the most notorious rappers ever is really scary, especially if you're a white guy who doesn't listen to rap. By Jesse Taylor.
[ Passion of the Weiss ]