By now you've likely heard that the big brouhaha during yesterday's Super Bowl halftime show had nothing to do with Madonna bringing the "Vogue"-ing fierceness to the "No Fun League." It was, in fact, the Material Older Lady's guest M.I.A. who's been catching all the flack - for raising a middle finger (and cursing) at millions of TV viewers during her verse on 'Donna's "Give Me All Your Luvin'." M.I.A.'s inflammatory move has since caused both NBC, which broadcast the game, and the NFL to issue public apologies, condemning it as "completely inappropriate" and "very disappointing." But we're convinced that there were plenty of reasons - perfectly acceptable ones - why the politically charged singer/rapper felt compelled to flip the bird at the masses...
WATCH THE VIDEO... AND PEEP 10 PERFECTLY REASONABLE EXPLANATIONS WHY M.I.A. FLIPPED THE BIRD DURING THE SUPER BOWL HALFTIME SHOW... AFTER THE JUMP...
1. Meant to make gesture for, “We’re #1.”
2. Got terrible splinter while handcrafting guerilla weaponry in dressing room.
3. Not a fan of NFL’s new instant replay rules. Oh, hells no.
4. Still pissed the league rejected her proposal to move Cincinnati Bengals to Sri Lanka.
5. Saw Lynn Hirschberg seated at 50 yard line. (God forgives, M.I.A. doesn’t.)
6. Overdid it with “beer bong” while tailgating.
7. Was responding to drunk fans screaming, “Paper Planes! Paper Planes!” (“Free Bird” voice).
8. Secret message communicated to Anonymous encoded on her fingernail.
9. Because contrary to conventional wisdom, the revolution will be televised… while dancing around on stage with pom-poms.
10. Wait… no Tebow? FUCK THIS NOISE.