Yesterday, XXL magazine released the cover to its annual Freshman class issue. And as per usual, the Internutz became flooded with opinions (imagine that!) regarding who was or wasn't worthy of the honor. Someone who was on the cover: female Australian white rapper, Iggy Azalea - who once lyrically referred to herself as a "runaway slave - master." Someone who took issue with Iggy Azalea's inclusion (and took to The Twitter to air it out): Harlem's own burgeoning female rapper sensation, Azealia Banks / @AZEALIABANKS (who, BTW, is neither on the mag's cover, nor a white girl, in case you were unawares). You never woulda guessed this, but Azealia's take on Azalea's cover coverage resulted in even more Interwebz squabbling. Presented here are Ms. Banks' tweets on the subject, which tidily document the arc of the whole shebang.
PEEP AZEALIA BANKS' TWEETS ABOUT IGGY AZALEA AND XXL'S FRESHMAN 2012 COVER, AND THE ENSUING BACKLASH... AFTER THE JUMP...
1. Iggy Azalea on the XXL freshman list is all wrong.
2. How can you endorse a white woman who called herself a "runaway slave master"?
4. Sorry guys. But I'm pro black girl.
5. I'm not anti white girl, but I'm also not here for any1 outside of my culture trying to trivialize very serious aspects of it.
6. In any capacity. *kanye shrug*
7. If u hate my music now because of how I feel about this then I guess it's my loss. I'll take that loss.
8. i made a comment about something said in a song. i'm not here to assassinate someone's personal life/character.
9. lol i reaally dont need people to take my side. lol... i can pop my own shit and stand behind it. #thanks.
10. don't discuss my opinion more than you discuss your own... you'll piss yourself off. lol #trustme
11. Your problems with me and what i think are, YOUR problems. . . Not Mine.
12. Your Way Is The Best Way... Always.